Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Why my children will watch the inauguration of President Barack Obama

They are young, they probably won't remember it, but I desire for my children to watch the inauguration of President Barack Obama.













  • I want them to because they are Americans who are a living in a moment when history is being made. Regardless of any political ties or views, this is a day that will be remembered for as long as the United States is a nation. It is important that they learn the history of their nation and why today is so important to many of all races.
  • I want them to watch because of their current memory verse: "Whatever the Lord pleases, he does, in Heaven and on earth, in the seas and all deeps" (Psalm 135:6). They are learning that our God is absolutely sovereign, that he appoints all rulers whether they be good or evil to fulfill his purposes, and that no purpose of the Lord will be thwarted. Barack Obama is playing a part in history as God brings glory to himself. Last night before bed I was honest with Camdyn and told him why I did not vote for President Obama. I explained to him (the best way I could to a four year old) the awful practice of abortion and that it is a great sin and offense to God. But I was able to explain to him that God uses evil to accomplish his desires. Christ was crucified at the hands of wicked men. The murder of the Son of God was the most heinous crime ever committed, but they only did what God had before ordained to take place. God used evil for the salvation of the world.

  • I want them to see Pastor Rick Warren invoke the name of Jesus in his prayer as he has said he will do and for their mother to explain to them why this is so important.

  • Finally, I want them to watch the inauguration because it is an incredible opportunity to share the Gospel with them. Many are trusting in and hoping in President Obama. There are those who are making whatever sacrifice is neccessary to be at this great event. Though Obama may offer hope to our nation, and though I hope my children are excited (Presidential inaugurations are supposed to be times of national excitement), I want us to help them look past President Obama and know that our only ultimate hope is not in a man who leads a nation but in Jesus Christ who died to delliver us from the wrath of God.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Very well said. I wish you could be here with us while we watch it. I'm sure I'm going to need you to answer a few of "the deep thinker's" questions.